210 Buller Street was built in 1910 by the Sisters of St. Anne, who used it as a Convent School. It has since been converted into apartments.
The former Convent School was added to the Ladysmith Community Heritage Register in 2014.
Here is a map showing the location of 530 1st Avenue:
Here is a Google Street View image of 530 1st Avenue:
Description of Historic Place
The Convent School is a large, Second Empire style building located on a hillside in a residential section of Ladysmith. The historic place is confined to the building footprint.
Built in 1910, the Convent School is a large threestorey, concrete block building. The most distinctive feature is the mansard roof. While the roof form is intact, the original dormers were removed when the building was converted into apartments. The roof profile is a major element of the Second Empire style, which in turn was closely associated with late nineteenth century institutional style, especially with Roman Catholic religious orders.
The Convent School is significant for its association with the Sisters of St. Ann, who were the first Catholic order of nuns to run a school in the building. The Quebec-based Sisters of St. Ann arrived in British Columbia in 1858 and, over time, provided schools, orphanages and health care throughout the province.
The Sisters were a vital and important part of the civic community and this building is one of several that serve as a tangible legacy of their contributions to the province.
Located on a hillside above the town centre, the building’s height, mass and distinctive roof line makes it an important community landmark.
The Convent School is significant as the only remaining early school building in Ladysmith and the only remaining building on a site that once also included a Catholic Church and Rectory. As such, it the only tangible evidence of the community’s earliest educational and Roman Catholic religious landscape.
The character-defining elements of the Convent School include:
- – the building’s scale, mass and form, the Second Empire style roof, masonry construction including a variety of concrete block styles, the bell tower, and the fenestration pattern on all elevations
- – the building’s location on a hillside, overlooking the town centre
We will add more historical information about 210 Buller Street in the near future.