General Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

Jul 5, 1846 to Dec 11, 1899

Andrew Gilbert WauchopeAndrew Gilbert Wauchope was born at Niddrie Marischal, Midlothian, Scotland, to Andrew Wauchope and Frances-Mary Lloyd. The third of four children, he attended school at Worksop in Nottinghamshire and Stubbington House near Fareham in Hampshire before becoming a naval cadet at Portsmouth in 1859.

Not happy with the navy, Wauchope obtained a discharge in 1862 and then purchased a second lieutenant’s commission in the Black Watch in 1865. In 1867 he was appointed Lieutenant and in 1873 served in the Second Anglo-Ashanti War, detached on special service with a Hausa regiment where he was twice wounded.In July 1878, Wauchope was appointed governor of the Paphos region in Cyprus and was promoted to Captain before returning to England in 1880. He served on the staff in the Transvaal War of 1881 and with his regiment in the 1882 Anglo-Egyptian War.

He fought in the Sudan Campaign in 1884 where he was severely wounded at the Battle of El Teb. Promoted to Major in March of that year he was then given a brevet Lieutenant-colonelcy in May before serving on the Nile Expedition where he was again severely wounded at the Battle of Kirbekan in February, 1885.

Returning to Scotland, Wauchope managed his family estates at Niddrie and Yetholm which he had recently inherited. The Coal mines at Niddrie were highly productive and he became one of the richest men in Scotland. A staunch Conservative he twice unsuccessfully ran for Parliament in 1892 and 1899.

He was promoted to Colonel in 1888 and was given command of the 2nd Battalion of the Black Watch in 1894. In 1898 he commanded a brigade in the reconquest of the Sudan, seeing action at Atbara and Omdurman receiving a promotion to Major General as a result.

In the South African War he was appointed to command the 3rd (Highland) Brigade and saw action at Belmont and Modder River as part of the force sent to relief Kimberley.In the Battle of Magersfontein, Wauchope was killed by rifle fire in the opening minutes of the battleWauchope was married twice. His first wife, Elythea Ruth Erskine, died in childbirth in 1884 leaving him twin sons. In 1893 he married Jane Muir, the daughter of William Muir. They would have not children and she would survive him.

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap