Mayor Patrick Malone


Patrick Francis Malone was born January 10, 1868 at Balydoolaney, Mayo Bridge, County Down, Ireland and came to Canada in 1892 to work in the mines in Wellington. When the Extension Mines opened he settled in Ladysmith. He was married to Annie Malone (nee Grant) who was 8 years his senior, born September 16, 1860. They were to have 3 children; Bridget Ann born July 24, 1893, Mary Catherine born October 17, 1897 and a son Patrick Joseph who was born July 3l, 1900. Both daughters were to become nuns in Vancouver (Sister Mary Hildgrade and Sister Mary Jenevieve). Son Patrick Joseph married Verona Margaret Mayovski on June 22, 1925 in Extension.

Patrick Francis was a very active man and a good citizen well liked by everyone. He played a leading part in St. Mary’s church in Ladysmith and was deeply involved with the miners Accident and Burial Fund for many years. The Wellington-Extension Medical Accident and Burial Fund may have been established as early as the 1870’s but did not become incorporated under the Benevolent Societies Act until September, 1905. Employees of Wellington Collieries and later Canadian Collieries (Dunsmuir) Ltd. paid a set amount each month into this fund to pay for doctor and hospital visits, time off work due to sickness or injury and funeral costs. On incorporation the first trustees were Patrick Malone, President, Thomas McMillan, Vice-President, J. E. Lowe, Secretary, William Russell, Financial Secretary from Ladysmith and James Dunsmuir, Treasurer from Victoria. The fund committee met regularly to consider and pay claims and to discuss supplies, complaints about doctors, contributions to the Ladysmith Hospital and other issues related to administration of the fund. (NB The Societies Fonds consisting of Committee meeting minutes are available for viewing at the Nanaimo Archives)

Patrick was also an alderman in Ladysmith for many years and Mayor for the 1907 term.

A strong union member, Patrick was amongst the 85 residents of Ladysmith for which warrants were sworn out against supposed leaders when the militia was brought in to quell the riots during the Great Strike in 1913. 100 warrants had already been sworn out against riot leaders in Nanaimo. Malone and the others were ordered to leave town following personal hints passed by the miners committee. Nanaimo residents declared that hundreds of men had been shipped in by the Industrial Worker leaders in Vancouver since the strike started and it was these strangers, not the local miners who had been heading the disturbance.

Patrick Francis Malone passed away on January 16, 1928. Still working in the mines at Extension although he had been unwell for some time, he became seriously ill at work on the Wednesday and passed away the following Monday.

One of the last jobs Patrick performed for the Accident and Burial Fund was to prepare the semi-annual report which was in the printer’s hands when he died.

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap